Why am I in Awe of Being a Vegan?

The title is self-explanatory, and I am sure you are wondering why a Bengali is talking about turning a vegan. I write this piece with the same surprise. Let me give you a little background before I proceed. It so happened that a close friend of mine tagged me on Facebook challenging me to lead a life without ice-creams, chocolates, and fries for a month long duration. TBH, I was never an ardent admirer any of the three. So this was a blessing in disguise indeed. In return I asked my friend to update my payment on Netflix for three months. They were game, and so was I. The month ended gracefully, and I passed out with flying colours.

I can’t possibly explain how ecstatic I felt that time, not because I won the challenge, but because my Netflix subscription was taken care of. I was like ‘Tra la la’, and ‘Oooh La la’… Living in Lala land altogether. The following weekend I was supposed to meet up with my friends, where I was expecting a grand felicitation. That things would be all rosy, with smiling faces surrounding me and they would be patting my back… But what happened then, was least expected, and all my self-created fantasies turned topsy-turvy. I vividly recall that evening, where we met up at an Iranian restaurant at SoBo (South Bombay). TBH, I had even rehearsed my speech for the day… And then it was! A BOLT FROM THE BLUE…

Let me get straight to the point. We had ordered for Bun Maska and poached eggs. These people are commendable in that, and I won't actually mind spending my whole months' salary to grab a bite. The freshly cooked eggs and baked Bun Maska arrived at length. And, I was ready to drool… When…

My beloved friend held my hand, and challenged me to a Vegan diet for the upcoming five days! They had chosen this date very prudently, as we would be travelling to Pune, and the interiors of Maharashtra for a small trekking expedition. And, going to Pune means breakfast at German Bakery. Disturbing thoughts already started pouring in. 'Would I be struggling with like lettuce salad, while these devils would be hogging Spicy Cheese Drumsticks and Japanese Omelette? Also, on our way to the trek, would I be also depriving myself from the tasty milk shake the villagers make? I also heard that they add a mango topping on it'.

Reality is hard, harder than surviving without French fries and ice-creams. But believe me surviving 5 days without eggs, fish, milk and dairy products was like a litmus test for me, where I failed. Like failed miserably. Something like this had happened.

We went to German Bakery and I ordered a Corn Salsa salad for myself. My associates ordered different items that were mouth-watering and lip smacking.


My not so favorite Corn Salsa Salad

I was firm till then that I can make it happen. Really. And not after a second of my thought, the tormenting’s began. My beloved friends expressed their happiness of diving into the delicacies with sounds like ‘Ahh!’ ‘Ohh!’ ‘Amazing’… Umm… And I couldn’t bear that any longer. The radical part of me got up and literally pushed my friend off the chair, and snatched his Spanish Fluffy Omelette. I was unapologetic about it. And always will be.

It has been a month to that incident and the experience of being a one day vegan still horrifies me. That chapter is done and dusted and won't be repeated.

Comments

  1. If u want help to b vegan i can connect u with some of my frnds. Dey started being vegan and i sometimes hear dem to say its didifficud But till now dey r prevaiprev

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun reading this. . .It is nicely narrated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Aishwarya Di! Your words mean a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts