The Decision Once Taken…



It all began with a thought. Something candid has to be done now. Something that would help me make a strong mark, an indelible mark. But how? Should I change my current job, should I try talking to my mom to find me a better career option, should I shift to a different city? And a lot more…It was at this time that an email from a leading Content agency appeared in my inbox. Bombay beckoned. More than fun or excitement, the priority was to redefine myself.

And of course there was a promising beckon from the City Of Dreams. Thus, I packed my bags and set off towards 27/23, L&T Society, my address for the next couple of months at least. While taking a cab from the airport, I got to see the busiest city ever. People running across the streets to catch the local, rickshaws awaiting for the signal to turn green, and of course that lad with a bunch of fresh red roses trying his luck at every four wheeler parked.

It was a bright sunny morning, I arrived exactly at midday, rang the doorbell and saw a huge, fair spectacled face in front of me. She could somehow guess that the trolly baggage I carried, wasn’t too friendly with me. Quickly replying to her reflexes, she took the baggage from me and carried it to my room…

I felt the actual realization of being in Mumbai after I saw my room.(that the rooms in Mumbai are really small). I had taken at least a few seconds to actually believe that I would be putting up in that room, rather a cubicle.  It measured not more than eight by eight, I am sure. On top of that, the actual challenge was to share the room with a fellow who never smiled and her every move reminded of an old Geography teacher.

Ruchi and Anushree- these names were a lot more than just ‘flatmates’. The former was a liberator, probably something more than that. I still recall whenever I was a little low after a rebuke from my senior, she could sense it somehow and ask me to just chill. And of course, Anushree was literally my mom in Mumbai. During my second month in office, all my colleagues had known of her finger licking Aloo Parathas.

The maid or the ‘Bai’ as the Mumbaikars call it deserves a special mention. Though she prepared some amazing eateries, yet she would not show up quite often without notice. Most of our evenings would go scrubbing the dirty utensils and cleaning the rooms. On those days, I remember my dinners used to be the Wada Pavs or sometimes Chinese Bhel.

Street food here in Mumbai is just mesmerizing. While Wada Pav has hogged the maximum limelight, the Samosa Pavs, and Bhurji Pavs do equal justice as well. In case your ‘Bai’ doesn’t turn up for the evening unannounced, don’t think twice before grabbing on a piece of sandwich, it comes with a tasty and healthy tag, and is filling too. Having said that Chinese Bhel, Sukha Bhel, Mysore Dosas also hold a significant place not only in the hearts, but also in the stomachs!

The journey that once started off before a computer is continuing even today. Honestly, wherever we are, however we are, we know somewhere deep down that all is happening correctly. It doesn’t matter whether your boss praises you for your work, or perhaps your maid doesn’t turn up, or if your coffee was a little less hot. All that matters at the end of the day is: Are We Happy?


Comments

Popular Posts