Sorry, But am Allergic to Pyar Ka Punchnama(s)!


Sundays are supposed to be relaxing, and an ideal one for an appropriate siesta. Very mysteriously, the latter (siesta) has suddenly grown allergic to me, it rarely pays a visit these days. Being a captive to its mood swings, I decided to take some refuge in Bollywood, and Pyar Ka Punchnama popped up deliberately. Till this time, I had read its reviews and heard my male friends flaunt about it.

And since I devoted 5 hours of my sleeplessness to watch both the parts, I am going to voice my opinion. Though women here hail from different backgrounds, and their professions don’t match either, their behaviours very much alike. When an extra-helpful friend asks his roommate about what the problem is, of course the blatantly reply is, “Kyunki woh ladki hai re, aur yahi problem hai.” Wow! That was an incredible label anyone on earth could ever give…Kudos!

Another sequence that bespectacled me was how the purity of friendship was distorted. More specifically the bond between Supriya and Chauka. This poor guy runs every errand the girl’s family asks him to. Alas! then an ever angry Amrish Puri thrives within the girl’s father and he gets reluctant to get his daughter married to Chauka. A frustrated Chauka exits the scene, repenting his acts.


Image Source: Youtube

Well, I am very sure that most of you wouldn’t really agree with the points I cited above. I feel shallow to say both the films were misogynistic and definitely patriarchal to the core. Maybe directors like Ramesh Sippy and Shoojit Sircar are to blame for this. Sippy’s ‘Yeh dosti hum nahi todenge’ rings afresh still, and I can undoubtedly anticipate that a lot of us hum the same as a token of love for our beloved friends. Or talk of ‘October’ (Shoojit Sircar) where this young lad, Dan despite his packed schedule, devotes a major part of his time to his hospitalised friend Sheuli.

There are challenges in every relationship, and a mighty solution is to overcome the same. It’s really heart-rending to see pious relationships heading towards decay. And unfortunately, these films help escalate that! Matters could still be pacified had things reconciled at length, however that never happened. No, this wasn’t the lack of my afternoon siesta that got me so radical and blunt, it was the real me speaking.


Comments

Popular Posts