5 Reasons Why 'Surmai' Made it to my Favourites!


Recently, a Maharashtrian friend of mine, invited me over to his place to celebrate ‘Gatari Amavasya’. This is one fine occasion where the Maharashtrians hog non-veg to the core, and drink infinitely to their heart’s content; before they fast for Shravan. I had always taken keen interest in excavating different cultures, and have been lucky enough to be exposed to a lot during my stay in Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.

However, due to some unavoidable circumstances, I couldn’t make it to my friends place that evening. The next day in office, while typing my next article, I confided in one of my colleagues, as to how regretful I was about not going to the friend’s place. In the meantime, another colleague of mine had overheard our conversation and said he got some leftovers from the ‘Gatari’ at his place. My friends tell me usually I get shy when offered food, but my shyness went for a toss when the colleague further revealed that he got an extra ‘dabba’ (that’s how lunch box is referred to colloquially in Mumbai) of Surmai (King Mackerel fish).

Mouth watering, ain't it? He even decked it up for me!

The Surmai was impeccable, so much so that, I refused drinking water for an hour, lest the taste may melt. Deeply smitten by the taste, and especially the way it was cooked, the writer in me became active, and had enlisted quite a few adjectives. I have edited them deeply in my mind, and kind of tried to paraphrase them below! Hope you like it!

a.    Slim and Trim Look:

I can’t literally deal with the smell of raw fish yet, and I remember how my roommates used to wash fishes for me, on the weekends. Yet, Surmai has an impressive look, and maybe that’s the reason my nostrils don’t show any signs of resentment.

b.   Resembles Katla:

I know many of you won’t agree to this, but when a piece of Surmai is placed before me, sometimes I so feel Surmai is just a soul sister to Katla. Not taste-wise, but only look-wise. Though this doesn’t make much of a difference now, yet it did when I was getting acquainted to Surmai in the beginning.

c.   The name has such a melody attached to it

Remember the song, ‘Surmayee Akhiyon Mein’ from the classic hit ‘Sadma?’ Yeah, with every bite I am kind of reminded of the song, and each bite gels so well with it.

d.  Tastes Wonderful When Made in Mustard Sauce aka ‘Shorshe Bata’

Being a Bengali, my taste buds are extremely fond of, rather used to fish being cooked in mustard sauce. For a change, when mom discovered Surmai in mustard sauce, it tasted yum indeed!
  
e.   Brightens skin and boots brainpower

Oh yes! What months of Fair and Lovely failed to do, Surmai showed the magic in weeks! And am not lying…

For the latter part, my mom says, leave apart Surmai, no fish on earth can work on that! :P

That’s all for today. More we meet! J









Comments

Popular Posts