When I Close My Eyes, I Search for Magic, When I Open My Eyes, I See Magic

In one of my recent interviews with Swami Sarvapriyananda, the Minister of Vedanta Society of New York, the Swami made a mention of spirituality, as quoted by his spiritual master, Swami Ranganathananda, the 13th President of the Ramakrishna Order. 

The Swami had coined a very simple definition of spirituality, which merely stated that “Spirituality is something like when you close your eyes, you find peace within, and when you open your eyes, your attitude is what can I do for you, rather than what can I get from you.” 


Now, coming to think of it, when I sit back and contemplate it in my daily life, I do notice that usually at night when I strive to put myself to rest, the mind isn’t free from wandering to various locations. Sometimes, it craves for music, more often than not it shudders at the very idea of having to work out the following day, and sometimes it strives to scroll through social media only to kill the time, and desperately waiting for the beloved sleep to pay a visit. 



Question is, do I find peace anywhere in the process? Well, maybe. But, can I actually say that the desire for identifying myself with a concept perhaps as abstract as magic has been involved? Perhaps, yes. 

Logically speaking, who would call humdrum affairs of life, like the mind wandering, being averse to the idea of working out the next day, and scrolling through social media to be magical? That might sound true from the logical perspective, but imagine while in this daily process of scrolling through social media, if you do come across something like a “Paneer Tikka Masala”, one that sounds quite effortless at the very sight, and would save you from the clutches of the bland food that Indian moms usually prepare during their fast days. 

Thanks to a plethora of festivals, and this humbleness within you that forces you to answer in the affirmative when asked if you’d want to have all the bland delicacies. Well now, you do have an option, where Paneer Tikka Masala comes in handy, as it’s entirely vegetarian and comes off as a lifesaver, where you can have it on your fast days. 


Now, coming to the working out bit. Now, that a difficult one, let’s be honest, who would want to lift weights every other day, and there are increased chances that you’d want to avoid it at all costs. How about just then, if Katy Perry’s “Firework” plays in the background, leaving you absolutely smitten, especially on the lines “Cause, baby, you're a firework

Come on, show 'em what you're worth

Make 'em go, "Oh, oh, oh"

As you shoot across the sky”. 


The next thing you do is, lift yourself up, shake a bit and get hold of your dumbbells to sweat it out. Magical? I bet. 


Now, last night I saw an impeccable dessert on Sweet Vermicelli with Dates, so much so that I am almost oblivious to the consumption of calories, as I put myself to sleep, only to realise that there are no dates in the house…

The next morning, I wake up heavy-hearted, still thinking of the recipe concerning dates. As I try cleaning the kitchen shelves, I discover a tiny pack set aside for Puja purposes. And, yet again I create my magical moment convincing mom of what an impeccable dessert could this be. 


Now, this is when I opened my eyes and truly saw magic. 


Image courtesy: Freepik


Comments

  1. I wish if I could hear this on a podcast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, maybe sometime in the near future. In case you want to hear the podcast with Swami Sarvapriyananda, here it is:
      https://anchor.fm/gairika-mitra/episodes/How-is-religion-important-in-our-daily-lives-eum541

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts