'Speak, For Truth is Still Alive!'


Long before I wrapped up from work last Friday, I had solemnly promised myself to sort my closet, and also do some basic grocery shopping; when Netflix captivated me. And, believe me, what I saw left me transfixed. It was Nandita Das's Manto. For those not aware, Saadat Hasan Manto was an Indo-Pakistani author, who wrote mainly in Urdu, and most of his writings were labelled as ‘controversial’, whereas he spoke of nothing but the truth.

Owing to his religious belief, (though he wasn’t an orthodox Muslim at heart), or probably due to an unexpected reply from his dear friend, Bombay based Manto decides to leave for Pakistan. Thus, leaving behind a part of him in Bombay, and hugely compromising on his lifestyle in Pakistan. 

He would often be involved in controversies, and his writings would be labelled as ‘controversial’ and something that irked the common mob. Though, all that was deemed controversial and obscene, was the reality indeed. Yes. Three middle aged men taking a small girl (not more than 12) for a tour in Manto's narrative 'Dus Rupay', wasn’t false. Neither was the dramatization of ‘Thanda Gosht’ (Cold Meat), which was the chilling tale of necrophilia, during a communal riot, untruthful.


Credit: Variety

Now, I have a very peritent question in this regard. Is it a crime to represent the truth? Or be vocal about it, rather? Had Malala Yousafzai not come ahead, the world would have remained ignorant of what thousands of young girls and women go through everyday. Also, had Aung San Suu Kyi not been vocal about the 1988 uprisings, would we able to re-instil courage and faith in ourselves? 

I think no.

Let’s face it folks. The truth cannot be adulterated in any given circumstances. The least we can do, rather strive to, is be a little sympathetic. I have poet Faiz Ahmad Faiz to support me (as did Das in her film):

Bol ki sach zinda hai ab tak,
Bol jo kuchh kahnā hai kah le!

(Speak, for truth is still alive,
Speak, whatever you must say.)


Comments

Popular Posts