Because I started the day with Murakami

Mornings in winters are usually dull, unless you get some really lively music to complement it with. Yet, that opens up doors for some unadulterated distraction undoubtedly. On such a lazy morning, I had the privilege of travelling to Hiroshima from Shibuya, and further to Tokyo… In my mind I almost imagined a sumptuous ‘Sushi’ when my cat’s 'meoww' landed me back to Mumbai.


Madam Clock was ticking fast too, leaving me with barely 45 minutes to reach office.
Battling the inevitable, I got involved in an attempt to slow down time.
And failed miserably.
While travelling in the rickshaw, I was pondering over the cleverest excuse
that would justify my late coming.


My hands seemed a little dry, and I opened my bag looking for a moisturizer.
Beside my moisturizer lay my favourite book by Murakami.
The one I was reading in the morning, the same book
that had taken me to Japan this morning.
Yes, if there is anyone that could save me from the panicky situation,
it was Murakami.
And, I started leafing through.
Crossing the skyscrapers of Tokyo, past the BMWs and all ‘Sushi’ outlets.


I was particularly inclined towards the Royal Bar, owned by Hajime.
This was the one where the best cocktail was available.
Also, as per him, his bartender knew how to make it flawless.


I was in that page when Hajime’s childhood friend Shimamoto visited his bar,
and they both talked of visiting a nearby river.
It was chilling in Tokyo, probably in minus.
They boarded a 4am flight and travelled 3 hours to reach the river.
The road ahead was rugged, uneven and far away from the city.
Their steps were disbalanced owing to the numerous stones and pebbles lying in their path.
But they remained undeterred and continued walking on.


On reaching the river, they dipped their feet in the river.
They resonated well with the chilly water, more so when their feet touched.
They remained still for a while, Shimamoto was the first to break the silence.
Softly she said, “Hajime, I feel I have achieved Nirvana.
There is nothing else to ask from life anymore…”

There was just peace and tranquility everywhere.
All that remained was love.
I was still mulling over the thought when my rickshaw driver brought me back to the
real world. I realised I was back to Mumbai,
and in front of me there was this giant building, where my office is located.


Courtesy: Penguin

I tiptoed to office and while punching in I saw that it was exactly 10 by the biometric.
I am still thinking how on earth did I reach in 45 minutes?
Was the empty roads, less traffic or because I started the day with Murakami?

Comments

Popular Posts