When You Zone Out Frequently!

Most of my friends and acquaintances have started this recent exercise with me. In the middle of a conversation, they would often ask me to repeat the last line they spoke. It is ridiculous. More so because most of the times I fail to answer them.


Yeah! I don’t listen to everything.
But, believe me I don’t do that intentionally.
And I completely blame my subconscious mind for it.
Often there are situations when we are having a team lunch,
where somebody complained about the oily ‘Bhaji’ (vegetable curry) his maid made.
I wanted to empathise and say something like ‘Been there!’
Suddenly another colleague of mine started narrating his ‘maid anecdotes’.
I could somehow relate with the first incident,
but gradually things started becoming monotonous.
Thus, ellipsis began operating in my subconscious mind.


This time things went a little weird and off track.
I played the role of Detective Chloe Decker (from Lucifer)
and was off to solve a difficult case.
I was so engrossed in my surreal imagery that I held my colleague's hand and shouted,
“LAPD. You are under arrest.” Poor colleague.
He was just about to gulp his food, when he just sat petrified.
He gained courage after a while, and quickly snapped, “Hey man! Are you alright?”
That was when I actually realised that I went too far…


Yeah like zoned out. Plain and simple.



When I told my friend that am writing on 'Zoning Out', she shared this pic!

Most awkward situations are professional ones I guess.
Imagine you are in the middle of a meeting,
and the person conducting it is leaving no stone unturned to make thing easy and clear.
In this serious ambience, my mind is debating over Charlie Puth and Tom Ellis.
I mean seriously. This happens with me. Not once, not twice, but everyday.


Sadly, this is not restricted to my professional and friend circle only.
My family also gets affected by it.
Let me talk of the most recent example.
Last weekend, mom talked of this distant granny of mine
who is not keeping well owing to a complicated ailment.
Mom began regretting, and very much longed if she could be present with her.
All this while, I was thinking of the amazing plum pickle she used to make,
and how we cousins used to steal it from her…


A loud rebuke from mom broke my train of thoughts,
and my plum pickle lost its direction somewhere midway.
Friends and colleagues can be still managed by apologies, chocolates,
Excel sheets and PPTs. But Mom? NADA!


At a bare minimum estimate, you got to live with upcoming things like,
“Do you even realise that the practical world is way different than your La-La- land”.
Or, “I can’t believe my daughter could be so dumb!”
Also, “How do your office people trust you with their precious projects?”


Believe me, zoning out never felt this better.
While mom described ‘La-la Land’, I already established myself there.
Just that this time there was no playing Decker,
I think it was the ‘Catwoman’ from ‘The Dark Knight Rises’. ;)



Comments

Popular Posts