Badla - Why Do We Need More Films Like This!






Most of my friends and acquaintances
tell me that am an obsessed
with Hollywood creations.
Well, I don't deny that. In my regular day of work,
I do really rely on an Oprah Winfrey show,
rather than a Koffee With Karan.
The reasons are not personal though.
It's just that I feel there is life beyond
the dating lives of celebrities, and
I honestly see no business of mine
to know who is going to date,
marry or dump someone.

Moving on, I think I witnessed
the highest paradox of my life,
when I chose Badla over Captain Marvel.
To be candid, I chose the latter
not only because it starred
Amitabh Bachchan, but because
Sujoy Ghosh directed it.

Initially in the first half, I was pondering
if I made the right choice.
Was this too going to end up like
‘Aladin’ or ‘Kahaani 2’? Patience.
I whispered to myself and
continued watching.


Well it didn't. I wasn't disgruntled.
In fact, I was overjoyed, bedazzled and
felt spectacular. What a film it was!
Big B as fake lawyer Badal Gupta (you would get to know why I call fake once you watch the film)
was commendable. He aces any role
with supreme valour, and even rocked in
‘Thugs of Hindostan’. But this was special.
As was Amrita Singh's character as Rani Kaur,
a bereaved mother.

And I recall a dialogue of Amitabh Bachchan
very vividly. ‘Focus on minute details.’
Seriously, we make statements like,
‘Oh! Life is a humdrum affair’ or as
Maharashtrians say, ‘Are kantal ali!’
We hardly pay attention to detailing.
And when confronted,
we have our excuse ready,
‘Man! Who has so much time to
remember every petty thing?’
But do we actually make the effort?

Coming back to Badla,
it comes to knowledge that the film
is beyond just characters. It tells you how much you should be attentive every moment.
Also, it talks of lessons from the
Mahabharata, inculcated with a
new tagline of course that says,
‘Maaf kar dena har bar sahi nahi hota!’

A lot of you might say ‘It's easier said
than done!’ Well, the film refutes the same mindset.
And why not? It's Sujoy Ghosh after all!

If Bollywood continues generating such films,
I am sure we would not cite references
from Hollywood as frequently as now.
Till then, the wait continues.

Lastly, those of you still procrastinating
your weekend plans, please go for this one.
It's worth it!






Disclaimer: I have been an avid fan of Sujoy Ghosh, Konkona Sen Sharma, Aparna Sen; not only because they are Bengalis, but because they have excelled in their field. Also, I strongly feel that these people are far beyond any race or religion.

Comments

Popular Posts