Is God not Watching me Outside his Temple?


Religion and me like to indulge in 'Hide and Seek' often. Not that I have a special discomfort implanted within, but fasting thrice a week, or feeding ‘Gaw Mata’ every Saturday isn't my forte. Or maybe am too lazy for that.

Nevertheless, I am not against people who follow these rituals religiously. In fact I sympathise with them. But, many a times people misunderstand this fact. For instance, I recall once being shunned for a family dinner over a distant relatives' place, and I still have no inkling why.

It so happened that we visited Haridwar (Uttarakhand), and his whole family considered taking a dip in the Ganges. Expecting a plethora of good deeds (which we Indians refer to as ‘Punya’) as an aftermath. I accompanied them to the nearby bathing ghat, but informed them of my reluctance to bathe, not only because I felt uncomfortable, but also because of my migraine issues. The family abandoned me thereafter. And, am still pondering why. My father explained later that they felt offended and ridiculed. I defended that I had legitimate reasons for the same and I wasn't rude to anyone.


Things started going south soon after and I earned the title of a ‘Snob.’ Somehow, I didn't feel sorry until this fiasco happened.

Last weekend, on mom's insistence I visited a temple. We sat down for over an hour, meditated and nodded our heads unison with other folks while chanting hymns. Mom insisted on staying back for sometime more, and I agreed to, but this time I was engrossed in some important tweets and replying to some of them. Meanwhile, an aunty sitting ahead of me started making faces and beckoned. I went up to her, while she told me that I wasn't supposed to use my phone inside. I sincerely apologised and told her it won't be repeated.

Honestly, I was shameful of my behaviour. Mom didn't speak to me the whole while and even after. She told me my behaviour was utterly disrespectful and that I insulted the deity. She further said that I could tweet outside the temple, and come back when am finished, as the deity expects us to pay full attention to him. I argued. But mom, “While I would be tweeting outside the temple, would he not be watching me then? Then why can't I tweet inside the temple?”

She didn't answer.

I don't intend to disrespect him (God) or disregard others beliefs, but why would I be something in front of him and something else behind his back?(if at all there is a back to God).

But, off track isn't God much beyond our created barriers? Is he really that narrow that he would be angry just because I tweeted in his presence? When I tweet in front of mom, she doesn't get angry, why would God be infuriated then?

Is he only watching me only when I visit the temple, and not when am outside?

Comments

Popular Posts