Why Do I Keep My What's App Read Receipts Off?


Recently, an acquaintance of mine had posted a
What's App status, seeing which I was a little taken aback. It read thus, “Beware of people, who keep their What's App receipts turned off!” :P I think you guessed correctly. Yes, yours truly belongs to that scanty population where none of my Whatsapp chats ever see blue ticks on.

I think I took the decision shortly after I got obsessed with tech (which has only been 2 years by the way). I don't exactly recall if the decision taken was based on my dislike for the colour blue, or that I had too many intruders on Whatsapp that I chose to hibernate, and have remained faithful and colourless there after.

Well, like every time, I got my reasons this time too. I have been living with the ‘Debater’ label for over a decade now, so I no longer take things way too personally. Getting back to our discussion on What’s app and read receipts. Talking of my teenage days, I don’t exactly recall a moment when I intruded into my friends’ privacy or nagged them continuously about their personal lives. But, I have been at the receiving end of it unfortunately, surrounded by prying aunties, and over curious acquaintances.



                        gHacks

Most of their conversations end with question marks. Or should I say begin and end with question marks. Some of them were like this, “Hey, checked your Insta story, where did you go for dinner yesterday?” Or maybe, “Oh you  guys had a Friday night chill? Where did y’all chill?” Sadly, these queries come from folks, I haven’t met since my high school days. Let the rest remain unsaid.

Then there are these thousand whatsapp forwards. Most of them are religious, some philosophical, and even gossip. But isn’t Whatsapp a medium to spread love and joy, or is it a judging platform that regulates how we talk, walk or wear?

When you try to refrain from such conversations, people often make fun for you, or call you snobbish. On confronting, you hear more.

Thus, one fine day, I decided that is it. Life gets better without argument with those who refuse to decipher deep things.

And, it was a final goodbye to blue ticks. For a change, I don't regret it!

Comments

Popular Posts