A Short Skirt is Just a Dress. NOT an Indication!


Yesterday when a close friend shared an IGTV video, I was left baffled and jaw dropped. A middle aged aunty (please pardon my language) publicly addressed 7 men sitting at a restaurant to rape a woman dressed in shorts. To quote her “You're recording no? Hello guys. These ladies want to wear short to short dresses to encourage all to see them. All these ladies wear short dresses or get naked to [get] raped.”

The girls put up a brave fight, took her to the nearby mall and asked her to repeat the words. She chose to walk by, ignoring the would be rape victim (please pardon again). Finally when she opened her mouth, the 21st century saw the greatest disruptor of the millennial mindset.

Now, after a long time, some questions like ‘how do rapists have the audacity to trouble a woman so much?’ and ‘how dare they?’ gained some light. Their moms possibly were the reasons behind their perverted mentality. Believe me, it pains me to learn and write about this behavior, but these moms have made my assumptions feasible.

Also, the day before yesterday, a dear friend of mine had shared a video of ex-Pepsi Co. chairperson Indra Nooyi. I have always admired her, and have tried to implement her advice in my daily routine. One of the major takeaways from her talk was that women should be supportive of other women.

Fortunately, both in my personal and professional lives, I have been surrounded by women who have been supportive of almost everything I do or did in my life. Honestly, it is disheartening to hear remarks like there can be no friendship between women, or that women can never tolerate other women’s success.

Dear Ladies,

I say this from the core of my heart that our mission in life is far beyond bitching or finding faults in others. We are a tribe, and let’s respect each other’s opinions. It is indeed time for us to be united, and be supportive of fellow women.

To others who don’t have any idea of dressing, please improve your mentality. If you can’t be a support, please be quiet. Trust us, we don’t really seek your validation. We are confident in our ourselves. And, remember that a short skirt is just a short skirt, it is never an indication. NEVER!


Comments

Popular Posts