How Effective Are Self Help Books?


I have been an avid reader throughout my life, and by 'reading', those days, we normally referred to books and articles that had a literary connotation to it. These were mostly in the form of novels, or some dignitary opining about a particular genre. By the so called 'self help' books we could only highlight on a Dale Carnegie or a Stephen Covey. 

I was first gifted Dale Carnegie when I was in my junior college by my Principal when I had topped the class. 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' was the book's title and on researching I found out that it had been doing great rounds for quite some time. I picked it up as a partner for my travel time, and completed within a week or so. 

How Did I Benefit?

Well yes, I have been an ambivert all my life, and winning friends wasn't really a big deal. What bothered me was this influencing part. And, that was a major drawback in me.

My level of influence a lot of times has been restricted to convincing my mom, as to whether I should take up a course in Public Relations, or at the most pleading my partner to run marathons with me. But when things came to me saving or advocating for myself, I was a huge failure! Or maybe I still am!



Why are We So Addicted to Self Help Books?

'How to Lose Weight', 'What Should Your Diet Be', 'Win Over Your Colleagues' and many more are some popular faces of books that I spot almost at every book store. 

The point is the number of us signing up for these books have been literally increasing through the days. Now a days, we don't really care for literature, nor do most of us want to know about the lives of literary people, we are looking just looking for easy solutions.

Have We Gotten Results?

Of all those I know of, have mentioned that they loved every aspect of the book they handpicked, but failed at implementing it. 

Some of them even mentioned that the books they totally abided by, but ultimately gave in under the huge gravitation of situations. 

What's the Use Then?

This would forever be doubtful and query some to me. How about choosing a book on marketing and business instead? At least, that would help provide some clarity on the way we perceive the world!

Comments

Popular Posts