Does Being Silent Mean Being Weak?


They say, 'Silence is louder than violence.' However, a lot of times silent people are associated with those that are averse to getting themselves in a controversial situation and prefer remaining calm.

I guess that's not the case always. Let's date back a little, to the ages of the Mahabharata. You would find that Vishwa, the grandfather of the Kauravas and Pandavas remained quiet during the most turbulent times. Now, was that a sign of weakness or was he an advocate of the phrase, 'Discretion is the better part of valour?'



My humdrum life has shown more than one instances where silence ultimately stood as a symbol of strength and courage. For instance, during my teenage days when I was totally wrapped with the specialities of my teenage days, I would often spot my family members frown and remain silent when I picked up a particular outfit. That silence donned such a heavy and semi rigid appearance that I had to put down the thought of wearing the outfit that I chose.

That was some power of silence.

Again, during my university days I remember spending countless sleepless days over my dissertation. When I finally completed the book and showed my professor, he just kept mum. Now at this point when you see your capable, perfectionist professor go dumb over your dissertation, you are kind of rest assured that your beloved dissertation is in soup.

Silence=Weakness?

After the instances that I narrated, it makes it quite difficult for me to buy this silence is another term for weakness. Surely it isn't. Not for me at least. I can very well say that am kind of convinced with the saying that 'Silence is louder than violence'. 

Cold and silent treatments are often more powerful than insults, sneers or loud rebukes. Being silent portrays and evokes an air of strength and not weakness!

Comments

Popular Posts