Yes I Bleed. And I Am Not Ashamed To Carry My Sanitary Napkins Out In The Open!


Yes, I bleed. And, am not ashamed to carry Sanitary Napkins Out In the Open

Last week I paid a visit to the nearby chemists’ store, where I had asked for a pack of sanitary napkins. He provided me with my deliverable, and asked me to stuff it inside my bag. I asked for a packet instead, as there was hardly any space left inside my bag.

He began wrapping the napkins in a newspaper instead, and when I asked him not to, he didn’t budge a slightest. Always a rebel and a radical soul, I wanted to tell him that he was distributing medicines and why on earth would he be endorsing something as petty as that?



His reply literally left me baffled. The best counter that he could come up with was that people in the society are not as advanced and modern as we are. It’s easy for the people of our generation to come up with such thoughts, however, older people wouldn’t understand. I immediately retorted that isn’t it our responsibility to make them understand that this is a natural phenomenon and there's nothing to hide literally?

Why on earth should I be ashamed of my biology? In fact I am immensely proud of the fact that I bleed and have literally no shame in carrying my sanitary napkins out in the open.

Similarly, whenever I go through my cycle every month and have to avail a sick leave, I never mention that I am affected by headache, toothache or backache. I simply say that I am chumming and can't make it to the office, due to menstrual pain. 

How difficult is it to say that? And, why such hypocrisy? Why on earth are we so scared and ashamed of our own bodies? And, when on earth are we going to embrace ourselves for who we really are?

Comments

Popular Posts