SURVIVAL OF THE POLYMATHS?


Polymaths seem to be wonderful creatures who have not only proven their worth in one genre, but more than two, and the count goes on. My dear friend (and a polymath in himself) introduced me to the word, during my University days, and I have been striving hard to bring it into fruition ever since.

Well, undoubtedly you must have guessed my success level; otherwise, I wouldn’t be making an effort to write a whole blog about it. Clearly, I am not one. In fact, my creative bones (that represent a minor percentage) are literally in shambles with the idea of mastering two genres. For instance, while I am deeply engrossed in writing a piece, and my cat diligently gnaws at the pack of cat food on the table, that I was supposed to keep it on the shelf, which erased from my memory as usual.

I don’t realise the seriousness of the matter, and when I finally turn around, he has almost finished half the pack! Little does he realise that these are times when we are supposed to stay indoors, and finishing his cat food pack, might take longer than usual to get him one more! Clearly whoever coined the term ‘multitasking’ would rethink meeting me. Seriously!


Quite ironically, most people I encounter in my life are polymaths. In their professional life they are impeccable, and while at home they are magnificent cooks, or wonderful at managing the house efficiently. Now, being a polymath means you have to nail and be excellent in two or more things; wherewith the current pandemic, where everyone is locked down, undoubtedly one needs to be skillful with the household chores.

With me, my acid test begins with identifying and arranging pulses’ in their designated boxes. While ‘masoor’ is easily identifiable with its orange tinge,  ‘tur’, and ‘chole ki daal’ is really confusing, and even ‘matar ki daal’. The situation gets more ironic and tragic when Google doesn’t come to aid, and instead gives you a scientific name that you probably never heard of in your life!

Often in segregation and decluttering, ‘Moong’ ends up in ‘Tur’ and ‘Tur’ in ‘Masoor’. And it's a Catch 22 situation. Yet, if at all we sail through this, as the Twitterati says that #ThisTooShallPass, and if I have to present my culinary skills, where probably my guests demand a 'Moong Dal Ka Vada', the universe can't blame me for presenting a cutlet that tastes like Masoor! 

Till then, long live the polymaths, and in case, you are really willing to test my culinary skills, I suggest you wait for the lockdown to be revoked...

Comments

Popular Posts