Just One Call Away?


 While pondering over Charlie Puth’s melodious tune, I sprang back with a thought if any of this bears a tinge of truth, while the mind opted for much-prolonged thinking. One that dated back to those days while a phone call was all that mattered, sans any materialistic cravings. Yet, contemporarily, ‘paucity’ seems to be personified, quite inadvertently perhaps…

I wouldn’t know if this is some unyielding prophecy by the universe or just a mere coincidence that the personification found its way back, and proved itself incompetent. I guess it’s the former when I discovered my beloved uncle on the other side of the device, establishing his presence quite vividly on a virtual platform, where his opening remarks were, “Don’t worry at all”! I hadn’t even divulged any chapter from the nookiest corner of life, yet his words felt like the coolest ointment ever, somewhat similar to that feeling of discovering if a mirage was real ever…


Yet, this tete-a-tete wasn’t an imagination, it was there, very much there, right there. Always reluctant to speak about the personal details of my life, I began blurting out all in one go, barely breathing in between, so much so that I myself was flabbergasted post my speech. And, it stretched to the face-off between India and China, and he took me back to the gory days of the Opium War in history, a subject very close to the heart, and also conversed at length about the Tiananmen Square incident, that eventually ended in Antonio and Shylock from the Merchant of Venice. Both of us sighed in unison with the horrendous amount of mishaps that happened and that people encountered.

Time flew by, it was time to bid adieu, as my professional commitments were soon going to take over. As we did hang up, his closing words were “Don’t worry at all” again. Charlie is back with his track, ‘One call away’. Now, I begin thinking that paucity isn't the culprit here, it's the mind that yearns for more. 

Comments

Popular Posts