Writing for Writing's Sake?


Well, yeah why not. As I utter these lines, I try looking back at the initial years of me stepping into the field of writing. Always an enthusiastic soul, I'd completed the daily allocations of my writeups pretty much early, and it always happened towards the end of the month that my senior would always be asking me to pen two to four more pages. 


Being reluctant initially, I'd often get into a friendly brawl with him, telling him that he'd only ask me to write every month, as I'd always be punctual with my write-ups and would complete it before anyone else. Without thinking of the repercussions, I'd tell my senior that I can't just pen a piece merely for the sake of writing it. 


These statements seemed bold enough back then, and also exuded a certain spirit of power within and around; so much so that my other colleagues too would be repeating these lines, each time our senior's face bore the expression of asking us to pen a few more writeups. 


Now, in my late twenties, when I begin mentally revisiting the writing days of my early twenties, I gather that merely writing for the sake of it, isn't that bad for real. 


Perhaps, this happens when you intensify your conviction towards a more organic reach for your articles, and you are quite done with the results of writing…


Consider this article. As I began pondering what today's article should be about, my mind perhaps walked down memory lane and took me back to my younger days where I didn't have proper clarity on what 'writing for the sake of it meant', and now as I am writing this, I am just writing it because there is a need to write for me. It's majorly because if I don't I'd feel that something went missing from my life on this day. 


Something major. Something very dear to me…


That's what writing does to me. More than anything else, it nourishes my soul, providing and feeding it with the exact essential nutrients that it needs, perhaps what it longs for in this case. 


Most importantly, it's that nutriment that enriches both the body and soul, allowing it to be as expressive as it can be. While in the process, it also provides for a robust platform that's all accommodative and all-pervasive. 


Therefore, if I could offer a word of advice to my younger self, all I would say is 'Writing for writing's sake' isn't that bad after all. Maybe we should try it even more.





Comments

Popular Posts