Seeing The Reflected Face In The Mirror

Hmm, some of you already might have guessed that this article is an inspirational one from Swamiji’s talks. Well, I did learn about technical Vedanta today, but more than that the anecdotes Swamiji provided were too funny and enough to uplift our mood…

Out of the many anecdotes that he mentioned, one of them was the reflected face that we see in the mirror. And, I wouldn’t lie, but state that what we see as the reflected versions of ourselves, is more often than not held under high regard and we consider that to be the supreme reality. 


The mirror might be cracked, dusty, soiled, and our convictions about ourselves seem to change accordingly. Now, Swamiji made a mention of one more anecdote where Sister Nivedita seems to be staring at the sea, and telling her Guru Swami Vivekananda about the glossy full moon’s shadow on the oscillatory waves and stating how beautiful was all of that. To her utmost surprise, Swami Vivekananda smiled and asked her if she felt the presence of Brahman and the consciousness inside of her that is capable of identifying the beauty and praising it. 



Swamiji continued that if she could recognise what was outside was so beautiful, and how beautiful was she inside! Now, I am sure that a stalwart like Vivekananda would praise her both internally and externally, but what we are planning to establish here is praising the beauty of the supreme consciousness inside…


Also, now that I am writing this, let me also mention that the one catchphrase of Vedanta that says Brahman is real, and the world is false. What it means, in reality, is that all that’s happening outside is an appearance and that all of it is a part of Brahman. Now, I understand that there’d be several schools of thoughts to counter this statement, but as I had mentioned in my previous blogs too, this is a mere attempt to walk that path of Vedanta and realise our true selves. 


How far have I reached in my spiritual voyage so far? Am I matured enough to solve all of my problems? Possibly not. But, there is this one thing that doesn’t let me rest. Of that I am sure of. And that’s this intoxication that doesn’t let me rest and makes me crave more about spirituality, especially Vedanta. 


Do I see a contradiction here operating from the world and in spirituality? Of course I do. But, somehow deep down I understand that there is a beautiful truth underlying all of this, and that is the spot where I’d have to reach. 


Image courtesy: Ana Itonishvili on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts