How Did I Ensure Continuity While Writing My Debut Novel

Hey all, Happy Tuesday! Hope you are having an amazing Tuesday already. I gotta say that my day started almost an hour and half back, and all I managed to do in this time was just write the title of the blog. Procrastinations and distractions, I tell you.

So, I am sure that your writing journey has been smooth as well, and we discussed yesterday that we’ll be very fine even if we are experiencing hiccups now. So, in today’s blog I am going to be writing about something that I have been holding really close to my heart ever since I started taking writing very seriously and it’s been an integral part of my routine. And that’s being consistent. Continuity to put in short. 


Just in my blog yesterday I talked about how much I had been committed towards writing 2K words per day and all of this happened because the process was a continuous one. Most of you would know that I am a journalist professionally and it was here in this profession that one of my mentors and ex-boss told me, infact instilled this spirit of continuity in me. My earlier days were very tough, it was difficult, but there was light at the end of the tunnel. 



So, what he asked me to do was to write a page every day for my blog, and that could be at any time of the day, on any given topic. He told me that I had to imagine and act as if someone had punished me and I had to complete the work. Believe me, I was completely rattled when I heard that and never on earth could I imagine that I could finish writing 21 blogs for 21 days, while having a full time job (those days we had to travel to the office, unlike now where we are working remotely) and on top of that there were weekend getaways too, so imagine amid all this you had to write your blogs daily! It was tough as I did mention before, but definitely not possible. Yes I would admit that leaving weekend gatherings was difficult, excusing myself from a family gathering was next to impossible - yet when you’d manage to do that, you’d understand that you operate from a sense of strength and power. 

And I did exactly that. Strayed back in the office late, cancelled my weekend plans, excused myself from family gatherings and focused on my blog. At the back of my mind I had this thing constantly playing that I am committed to someone and I had to live up to his expectations. So, 21 days were over and I had managed to write 21 blogs. I was feeling relieved, happy and most of all very confident and powerful. After this entire process I can very well say that the fact that I was able to write a whole book was perhaps because of that element of continuity in me,


To sum up and in a nutshell, I have to say that I managed to be consistent, patient and resilient in the process and slowly but steadily I found myself completing the book.


Image by Bruno Bueno on Unsplash


Comments

Popular Posts