How Did I Manage To Write 2K Words Per Day For My Debut Novel

Hey there, wonderful people. How are we all doing today? I hope on top of the world, as we’ve just stepped into a new year - one that’ll be full of fun and frolic (we certainly hope so) and one that’ll probably help us sail through. So, before I jump into the topic, I gotta tell y’all about my latest book signing event as I mentioned in my blog last week. 

Even though I had my fingers crossed owing to the increasing number of cases, especially due to the variant Omicron, I decided to give it a go, following COVID protocols of course. Only when I visited the place and met my friends did I realise what would I have missed had I not come. The entire place was lit and there were book lovers that wanted to hear more about my book, and as an author what more could you have asked?


So, there was the host asking questions and I was answering them one by one and jovially. Despite the fact that we were totally packed in our schedule, we made time to click some amazing pictures. So, it seems that I am in love with screenshots and before asking for the actual image from my friends, I posted this one my friend shared. Oh! What a wonderful time we had!



Yup, for sure I didn’t forget my purpose of writing the blog today and I’ll get straight to the point now and tell you how I managed, rather choose to write 2K words daily? I’d exclude the weekends mostly, and on the weekdays wouldn’t settle down for anything less other than writing down 2K words everyday. Before I get to the “how” of it, let me tell you the “why” of it. My book was my dream project and I wasn’t accountable to anyone but myself. And, a lot of times we tend to let ourselves loose there, and hit rock bottom quite unknowingly. 

I had to make sure that I did not fall into that trap and never on earth could I have allowed myself to be so casual. So, I decided to set a deadline as we do have in our professional space and everyday would be setting new goals for myself - it was as if a client had given me some work and I had to attend to it urgently. 


During this tenure I had combated several sessions of self doubts and there were times when I’d whisper to myself that this is it and I can’t go any further. However, there was this will power and sheer determination that kept me going forward. So, 2k words per day it was. And, I followed it rigorously, there were times when I’d even be surpassing that limit and I wouldn’t be surprised at that at all. Maybe because I had started enjoying the process thoroughly, so much so that on weekends, I’d miss writing. 


So there was me writing my very first novel for the first time, sticking to the quota of writing 2K words everyday. Believe it or not, as I’d start writing it felt as if words would just be flowing out my keypad and the rest, as they say, is history. In a nutshell, the secret to writing 2K words everyday is sheer determination and following a rigorous routine. And, I say that you can do it too!. :)


Comments

Popular Posts