Impermanent, Impermanent, Everything Is Impermanent

Hello everyone, how are y’all holding up? I have to say that this has been a fantastic morning for me so far and that’s because I came across this wonderful phrase that is very common in Buddhism and ever since I heard it I have been very fascinated by it. 

Let me narrate the Sanskrit verse first and then I’ll translate it into English. Here goes - “Anityam, anityam, sarvam anityam; kshanikam kshanikam sarvam kshanikam, shunyam shunyam sarvam shunyam - dukkham dukkham sarvam dukhkam”. It means that everything on this planet is impermanent, everything is momentary, and everything is a void. Therefore, the net result of all of this is just grief. 


What an amazing thing to say! I hold this particularly close to my heart as in this age all we do is just try and make an effort to hold onto something fruitlessly. Be it money, things relating to property, or status or relationships for that matter. We are just always in an attempt to cling onto things and when they disappear out of our lives we are just left shattered and devastated. 


Further expounding on this theory the experts say that beyond this causal and subtle self, that is beyond the body and mind lies this consciousness that is ever growing and ever free, that was never bound and never will be. I would think and wonder to myself whether or not anything of this sort holds true. The experts opine again that this very nature of consciousness is “Advaita, Ajata, Asparsha and Avirodha.”



These mean that the self, this consciousness is absolutely non-dual, doesn’t distinguish between caste and race, nothing can touch it, and lastly it doesn’t contradict any ideas or thoughts - be it science, philosophy or religion. Believe me with every sentence and listening to the meanings of those I was so awestruck and at the same time so very proud that I belong to this nation that is abled and guided by huge realisations of this kind. 


Now, of course you may be wondering how and why is this relevant to our real lives? Does it matter at all? Does this mean we’ll be redeemed from all of our sorrows and live a joyful life? Well, the answer is both yes and no. Yes because of course if you can grasp this knowledge properly and in the truest sense, then nothing like it. No, because if you’re wondering whether or not you have to pay your EMIs after gaining wisdom, the answer is unfortunately yes. You still have to be at the receiving end of your boss yelling and paying your EMIs.


But there can be one solution out of this and that’ll be after grasping this knowledge you’ll be so very powerful that’ll you’ll gain the courage and strength to transcend your sorrows and even the greatest calamity can't shake you. This is what the experts say and this is what has been enumerated in our scriptures too. 


What about me? I’d say that I am still on the verge of learning and understanding this knowledge and pray that I can unleash this divinity in this very life itself. And, I pray the same for all of you. 


Comments

Popular Posts