Sometimes It’s Best To Just Listen

Hey all, it’s hump day, so how is it treating y’all? I’ve been holding up well and have been practising remaining calm - no it’s not like that I am going on a spiritual retreat or equivalent, but I have noticed that sometimes, rather most of the times the more you remain calm in stressful situations the more it does help you in the long run. 


And, in all of those situations when I trained my mind to remain calm, okay let’s say just indulged in the practice of being patient and calm - I have noticed in all of those times that it was me that was beneficial in the long run. Actually, this was something that I had seen my senior in my early journalistic days do. Everytime our boss would yell or scold her, she’d just gently nod her head and say yes to all the accusations made. 


Initially I’d think that she was a fool to say yes to everything and of course there were various instances where she could have stood up for herself. I watched her repeat the same process every time, when one day I just couldn’t hold it in any longer and said what was causing her to be so naive all the time. I used the word “naive” since she was at a senior position and clearly she couldn’t have been there because of her naivety. 


She smiled and said that she chose her peace over arguments, especially because the people at the other end wouldn’t even understand where she came from. I was appalled hearing that and I said why wouldn’t she defend herself? Much later in life as I had approached the olden ages, I couldn’t help but think that she was absolutely right and that there was no point in losing your peace over someone that probably is by nature very arrogant and aggressive. 


Similarly, these days in life I do encounter many such people that make remarks out of nowhere, making me wonder if these people have a thinking capacity at all. But again like I mentioned in the beginning, there’s no point arguing or having to explain yourself before people that’ll never have any idea of how you function. Therefore, the best practice is perhaps to just let go and let be. 


Having said that I’d also want to make it clear that most of the times and in most cases you gotta think logically. Just because I wrote a whole blog about how one must try to remain calm and all doesn’t mean you won’t speak up when you have to. Remember it better to choose battles, but you know what’s best? Perhaps choosing your battles wisely. 


Image courtesy: Jackson Simmer on Unsplash


Comments

Popular Posts