Taking Care Of Distractions

Hey there people, please accept my sincere apologies for not writing since the past few weeks I wasn’t holding up well mentally and honestly couldn’t get myself to write down anything productive. An uncanny thing I’ve noticed about life is that no matter how hard you try to hold onto your self regime, there are times your feet get slippery even by a thin margin, and when it does, it takes a long time for you to recover from there - a state where you could never imagine yourself to be in, and now that you’re in there you don’t know how to come out. 

Sounds familiar? I bet. However, experiencing all such happenings is probably what has landed me to my next realisation, which is that you can’t let yourself to believe that something or someone else is going to save you from your misery. All you can do is own up. You got a tough boss to handle, well try to manage that, mom’s cranky about your marriage, sure, but ask yourself if you are ready for it at all, and not bend down before some societal pressure. While there is no problem in reaching out to people that care about you, the challenge is that most of the time they themselves aren’t very sure of the solutions, as they are themselves operating from an area of insecurity most of the time, so their capacities are limited. 


What you can do instead is just let yourself feel all the pain, acknowledge it, give yourself time if you have, and then finally take a deep breath and move on. Remember, just because you’re facing problems currently doesn’t mean you lower your standards and settle for anything that comes your way - trust me you’d be doing yourself the biggest favour if you refrain yourself from anything that makes you weak and takes you down along with it. 



So how do you deal with distractions? Actually, a more profound question would be is it even possible to keep oneself away from distractions in this age? Hmm, the answer is yes and no. No because you wouldn’t want to miss out on the joys and pleasures of the world, and yes because these joys and pleasures though seem to be enjoyable, but only for a short period of time. And, the only thing that could save you is perhaps helping yourself and trying to remain focused on your actions. Of course, if you do encounter situations that could be beneficial to you, please go for it, else you must be able to make out what could make or break you. 


In my life I did encounter many such situations where there were innumerable distractions in my way, and honestly sometimes I gave in, only to kill boredom. Believe me, never ever have I felt so pathetic about myself. I was doing things way below my standards, that I’d never do otherwise, and at the end I’d just ask myself “Was any of it worth it?” The answer to that would always be a firm no, and slowly I’d turn to Lord Buddha who’d just be sitting there as if smirking and saying, “Impermanent, impermanent, everything is impermanent.”


In this whole process I realised that it’d take me a hell lotta time to gather the courage to wake and dust myself up all over again, and I could even feel that perhaps I had even fallen from my mental state, but all of this was a learning exercise, and now I have a firm conviction of what works and what doesn’t work for me. Sure, distractions come my way, but I have taught myself to walk with my head held high and just laugh it off on the face. 


After all, who is going to take care and stand up for yourself, if you yourself don’t? Read that again.


Image courtesy: dbambic on Pixabay

Comments

Popular Posts