That Which Is Always Available To Me

What is it that is always available to me? Myself? My real nature? My identity? And what would that be? Just a normal girl that goes by the name of “Gairika Mitra”, and is familiar to some people in the world? Is that it? Is that all?

No. That’s not it. There’s much more to it than the mere name and form. Our ancient scripture, the Mandukya Upanishad states that there are three forms of an individual -- the waking, dreaming and deep sleep. So now, the waker is right there, me, myself (Gairika), the dreamer is me too, as all the dreams seem to appear in my mind. Imagine you had one cookie in your waking state, and three more while you were dreaming, would you say that you had four cookies? No. This proves that all that you dream of and about is only inside your mind. 


Then there is the third state, the deep sleep state. This is a kind of state where there are no more universes appearing, and one goes into a deep sleep where nothing seems to affect him anymore. After a good night’s sleep, don’t we say, “Ah! Had a sound sleep yesterday.” So, that is the deep sleep state. 


Now, in today’s blog, I am going to be talking about “Turiya”. It would be beneficial to state here that I have been following the Mandukya Upanishad for a while now, and even though a few technical terms have gotten in my mind, I still have a long way to go. And, of course, it’s my duty as a spiritual seeker to share all of my experiences with y’all, so kindly excuse me if I tend to slip from the main topic. 


So, now coming back to Turiya. In Sanskrit, the word “Turiya” literally means four -- that means this is in technical terms the fourth state, after the waker, dreamer and deep sleeper. This is the very absolute and one that is always available to us. But, we need to develop a special kind of vision and an intrinsic immaculate power to be able to grasp its true meaning. In the Upanishads, while describing Turiya it is said that the eyes cannot see it, the ears cannot hear it, yet it is present there all the time. 


The masters of this path say that it’s our very own nature, one that is the foundation of our very existence and it’s always available to us, it is available to me right now as I type this blog, and it is available to you when you are reading this. It’s that which isn’t affected by anything, yet is the string that holds everything together. It is that knowledge that says that nothing and no one is apart from you, everything appears in you and you alone, of that there is no doubt. 


Whenever there comes distress, monetary problems, professional, health or relationship problems, just try to hold on to the Self, that divine knowledge, one that you are a part of, one that is the reality, and everything else is just a mere appearance.Say that you can have no fear, now that you are aware of real nature, which is divine and fearless. 


Just hold onto it, and slowly you will see all your problems perish. Sure, bills still have to be paid, and work still needs to be done, but now, you do so with an air of knowledge around you, now you have realised your own divine nature, now you can always use That which is always available to you.



Image courtesy: Marek Piwnicki on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts