Beginning The Day With The Bhagavad Gita

Hello folks! How is this Thursday treating you so far? To me, I can say this week hasn’t been too hectic, even though I did have to meet some crazy deadlines and complete some really difficult tasks at hand. But managed to sail through somehow.

In the last year 2020 when COVID-19 struck, and when I got an opportunity to work from home for the first time in my life, I saw that there was a lot of spare time left in my schedule, even after completing the household chores, cooking and cleaning. And, I wanted to inculcate a good habit in me, besides reading and writing.


There was this thought that kind of struck me from the inside which said that I need to make an effort to know our ancient scriptures and being a Hindu, I decided to proceed with our holy scripture the Bhagavad Gita. I have to say that the initial experience was quite daunting, I mean reading Sanskrit verses is itself a challenge and when you are hearing those from God himself, then you can’t help much but just be awestruck. 




I struggled too, but thanks to the countless number of people on the internet and various religious organisations that have done a commendable job of translating the Gita into English. So, I basically just had to go through the Sanskrit verses, and then read the meanings in English. 

Now, as most of you would already know that the Gita is a profound text that can be life-changing, and for that to happen you must be dedicated enough in your pursuits. I have tried to keep up the momentum, and whenever I tend to slip off, I am reminded of the following verse and then am back to my normal self. 


śhrī bhagavān uvācha

kutastvā kaśhmalamidaṁ viṣhame samupasthitam

anārya-juṣhṭamaswargyam akīrti-karam arjuna


The literal translation of this is “My dear Arjun, how has this delusion overcome you in this hour of peril? It is not befitting an honourable person. It leads not to the higher abodes, but to disgrace.”


Courtesy: Bhagavad Gita by Swami Mukundananda


In our daily lives we encounter many such problems and more often than not try to take the escape route, thinking that we are insignificant and that it is better for us therefore to just leave things as it is, and let go. But Shree Krishna says that we must never be tolerant towards such behaviours and that they are our sworn enemies.


Please have a look at what he says - he calls Arjuna an honourable person and mentions that this kind of irresponsible behaviour does not suit a person as mighty as Arjuna. Whenever I have the opportunity to go through this verse, it always makes me feel as if Bhagwan is speaking to me and asking me to get, arise and take up all the responsibility for myself. 


Believe me when I say that these sayings have a profound influence on me the moment I read them, and I realise how powerful I am. During rainy days, I tell myself that it does not befit me, a powerful person like me to act coy, I must reconnect with my soul, my real nature and act accordingly. 


I understand that things get difficult, actually somewhere I had read that it’s life and it’s not meant to be easy, but we must remember that we are very, immensely powerful in ourselves, and there is nothing in this universe that can deter us. All of us must have that faith in ourselves, and if in doubt read the Bhagavad Gita, actually begin your day reading the Gita and trust me you will be invincible. 


Image via Pexels by AaDil

Comments

Popular Posts