Take Care Of The Means And You’ll Reach Your Goals

Hello there, my dear readers. How are y’all holding up? The weekend is almost here and we couldn’t get any happier. So keeping those happy thoughts in mind, I’d like to begin today’s blog by talking about reaching goals. Well, please note that I am no expert in this field but can just talk about some of the ways of successfully reaching a goal ably guided by my favourite Swami Vivekananda. 

While talking about goals and fulfilling them, he mentioned that all of us must try to give our fullest possible concentration to the means, and then the results will be taken care of. What he intended to say here is that a lot of times we get so hell-bent on realising the results, that we forget that we have to put in the effort, or for example we don’t understand what kind of effort is needed to get a particular result. 


Just a while ago, which was a few months back, I heard a successful edtech entrepreneur talk about goals and while formulating them how we should and must think of 10x the results. Yes, I am well aware that this seems too good to be true, except that it is. As for myself, I had problems believing in too, but things got a lot sorted after he explained his business idea. 


He said that as a business they were growing around 10-15% each month, and they wanted to scale it properly to be able to reach 80-90% and then 100% gradually. Hearing this, the first question that struck my head was that they must have poured a lot of money into this venture when in reality the entrepreneur revealed that they actually operated out of the same budget as before. 


So, what changed then? He said the mindset and meticulous planning. So, initially, the company would hold meetings with the senior people, ask them their opinion and understand if this idea was at all feasible, and when the entire team was convinced, they began executing it. 


That is to say that all the departments got active, the HRs hired more people, and the output was tremendous. While I was still doubting the process, the entrepreneur himself mentioned that they really did get lucky besides the hard labour, and there are higher chances of this kind of a plan not succeeding, but what will change is our mindset of ours that we can do something better and bigger. 



He further cited the example of writing a book, where initially he would just dedicate one hour on weekends, and with his 10x mentality, one hour became four on weekends, and two on weekdays. When he finished writing the book, he shared that it had reached its target audience and became massively popular. 

I have been trying to inculcate the 10X mindset in my life as well, and in my case, without thinking much of the results, I am focussing on correcting the means which include decisions like whom should I connect with to reach this goal, how should I go about it, what should my day look like, and lots more. 


It’s still too early to say but using this method I have had the opportunity to connect with various successful people, who were keen to do business with me. Sure, I am equally enticed and excited about the results, but not without putting in the necessary efforts towards the means. 


Swami Vivekananda even said that in our paths there will be failures no doubt, but we must never mind them, and walk towards our goal. Even if we do fail a thousand times, we must get up once more and try again.


Image via Pexels by Markus Winkler

Comments

Popular Posts