Is Blocking the Only Way Forward?


Monday, 11 am – Office

My mail box is flooded with emails, mostly from PR Executives, either gently asking for a coverage of their client, or follow up mail, seeking a feature in the publication I work for. As I was just eyeing through, I heard my phone beep multiple times. Anticipating it to be unimportant, I resumed to mail reading.

After half an hour while putting my phone on charge, I discovered 5 missed calls from my cousin. She usually doesn't call during office hours, so I presumed it was something important and called back. She sounded grumpy and started grumbling, as her crush had blocked her from all social accounts… “You know me Pinky (that’s what my family calls me), I am not the stalker type, neither do I run after people, seeking attention. I used to like whatever he posted, and even shared it across a multiple times. And, out of the blue today, he blocks me! How e….g weird is that???” 

Day 2, Instagram
Message from an old pal: Hey Gary! What’s up? Long time!
Me: Hey! How’z u?
Friend: Like, how’s life treating you, don’t get me wrong as I am going through a tough phase! L
Me: Hey, what’s wrong?
Friend: Nothing, liked this girl kinda, and on expressing my feelings, she friend zones me and worst part being, blocking me everywhere!
Me: (Searching for an emoji) That’s sad!
Friend: Yup, imagine, like blocking is so f…ing demeaning!!!


I completely empathize both with my friend and cousin. What they went through is  miserable. Especially, when the two of them are such wonderful souls. I mean is blocking really a solution to avoid a person who is genuinely concerned about you? Sure, I understand both mates had some shortcomings; but was it so intense that it couldn’t be talked about? I can very well vouch for my cousin that she isn’t someone who keeps pestering, and I can’t talk of any instance, where my friend behaved indecently.

I mentioned about the anecdotes only to throw some light on what the regular scenario is like. Now, more often there are instances where the moment one gets online (especially females), there is an array of pings, sometimes to the extent of a voice call! Those cases could be avoided, and blocking such ‘disturbances’ are very much a thing worth doing. However, in the long run, is blocking the only solution to end dismay? I don’t think so, and while I say this, I can comprehend the problems that may be, led a person to think about blocking an individual. Honestly, I get it. But isn’t it portraying a narrower version of the self? Like, I might have had a relationship with someone, and maybe under a given circumstance, it didn’t work out. Does the follow up step involve blocking the person you once had wonderful memories with?

Recently, an aunty of mine complained that she could no longer read the posts by a ‘Swami’ she followed on Facebook. I couldn’t reveal to the poor soul that she was blocked by her favourite ‘Swami’! Is this justified? What trouble was she creating to the Swami, who had renounced worldly affairs? Why would matters get to an extent, where blocking is the only option at hand? Am sure, there can be a 1001 ways to sever yourself, and certainly blocking isn’t one.

So, lets calm down a bit folks. Relax ourselves, keep our cool, and try to discover an alternative, a little harsh than blocking...


Comments

  1. Gairika Mitra ur blog really justifies ur viewpoint. Unlike what ur cousin & friends went through is quite devastating & harsh, but there are some instances where blocking a person u adore is really necessary 2 move forward. It is not always justified 2 do so bt its likely to be a healthy step for both d person concerned. Blocking curbs a person's freedom bt also in turn ensures a person's safety. Bt I personally feel blocking is not always necessary when both are in same terms with each other..
    Keep inspiring my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts